Whats the best method to advertise your forum?

Started by StarFish, August 27, 2015, 20:22

StarFish

Hi guys, I started my own forum a few days ago, its about music, especially my favourite genre, electronic dance music. I created some sections like here are - inspired by convoy trucking :3. There are some guests hanging around all day, but nobody wants to register so far, I have collected only 6 friends so far who have registered there. We are posting all day but the pace is very low that the forum grows with. I put on a nice, good-looking forum theme, however. I advertised it on many FB pages and in many groups on Facebook, but only the amount of guests is growing.
So I wanna ask, what is the best method to advertise your forum with nice results - getting more people to register and make posts? Thanks for help!
I dont wanna advertise here, but you are welcome to check the forum by clicking here (registering and posting welcome if you love music - who doesnt?! :)) ): [hide=my forum]http://www.edmforum.freeforums.net[/hide]
URMJK420

Joshy

Quote from: StarFish on August 27, 2015, 20:22
I advertised it on many FB pages and in many groups on Facebook, but only the amount of guests is growing.
This is a sign that your user retention isn't good. I.e. no one wants to stick around on your forum for whatever reason. Try to think why.

There a lot of forums out there for your topic (edm music), so why should they keep visiting your forum with little users when they are more likely to go to a well-established forum already packed with posts/members/resources. What does your forum bring over those?
[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated using Azure Functions & CloudFlare Workers using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every around 5 minutes. See the original SVG image. View source code (not updated with function yet)

StarFish

Quote from: Joshy on August 27, 2015, 21:19
Quote from: StarFish on August 27, 2015, 20:22
I advertised it on many FB pages and in many groups on Facebook, but only the amount of guests is growing.
This is a sign that your user retention isn't good. I.e. no one wants to stick around on your forum for whatever reason. Try to think why.

There a lot of forums out there for your topic (edm music), so why should they keep visiting your forum with little users when they are more likely to go to a well-established forum already packed with posts/members/resources. What does your forum bring over those?
Hmm maybe better forum theme and more interesting posts  ;) every good forum began once with a few members and less posts, mine is beginning too...idk what else could be my forum about, i really know a lot about edm.
URMJK420

Quotary

I can already tell you it's because of the horrific eye-cancer bright purple theme that's almost impossible to look at for more than a couple seconds, on which you can't even read text.
Also, your signature picture is waaaaay to big.

Fix your signature rules and please, for the love of our eyes, get a clean, minimalistic theme. They often do the trick and are a great base for customization.

Matias

Now i understand why mick made signatures space so little, its pathetic to see a 800x580 signature  :biggrin:

Maybe move the shoutbox to the top, shows guests the forum is active, your forum is kinda useless, didn't you think about a blog, facebook page? Why would one register at your forum with so few members as Joshy said, register at a forum to talk about what? music? isn't facebook better for it?, facebook pages does keep people with news, and things people cares about music, dont scare people saying "Dear Guests, dont be afraid of registering, this is a brand new forum and with more registered members it will become more popular and more liked. Feel free to start a discussion." they will do if they want so, forcing them to register seems creepy, also the "freeforums.net" and the free forum skin makes it looks like very little effort was put there. You have to try to be unique, attract people and keep them somehow. Convoy Trucking does keep players in forum because they were once needing it for something game related, and then found out interesting topics inside it, which attracted them and they keep joining for new info.
To be honest, if i liked EDM (which i don't) i would join a facebook page which would keep me updated about it, would be more easier to keep updated about (just log into facebook), no need to register again to a new page and where hundred of people joins every month, than your forum. For reference EDMcom has over 867000 likes and isn't a forum.

Tl;dr: forums are not meant for this, FB or a blog / webpage is better.

Xero

Wow yes change the theme my god! I didn't even click anything or try to read what topics were due to the fact I had to force my eyes to adjust to the colors.

But these things take time. Topics need to be interesting and on topic with what the forum is about.

I think you should just stick to the theme of your forum, electronic dance, and anything related to it. Keep it updated and make it fun for people joining.

Hobo

The purple theme gave my eyes cancer.

As Joshy said, there are other already populated forums for this. It's going to take a while for yours to get registrations, if it ever does.

[tr]
[td]

[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

[shadow=black,left]My PC Specs:
-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
-EVGA RTX 3080
-ASUS Prime X470-Pro Motherboard
-CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB RAM
-ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD 960GB
-Seagate IronWolf Pro 8TB HDD
-Western Digital Blue 2TB HDD
-ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB SDD x2
-ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB SSD x2
-Corsair HX750 Professional PSU
-NZXT H440 white/black case
[/shadow]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

StarFish

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I will change the forum theme color (I like purple and it fits to the content :'( ).

Quote from: Syd on August 27, 2015, 22:56
didn't you think about a blog, facebook page?

Tl;dr: forums are not meant for this, FB or a blog / webpage is better.
I have actually 2 Facebook pages where Im admin and I wanted to make a forum too finally.

Quote from: Quotary on August 27, 2015, 22:36
Also, your signature picture is waaaaay to big.
Sorry, but its nothing according to my signature in my opinion. Maybe that forum theme color will be the main problem.
URMJK420

$nake

StarFish

URMJK420

$nake

StarFish

URMJK420