[How-To] Importing mods into ZModeler

Started by Rubber, June 26, 2013, 06:40

Rubber

This tutorial will explain in great detail on how to import mods into ZModeler. Keep in mind there are other ways to import mods, but this way has been perfected by me and always works for me. It should work for you also if you follow the steps properly.

As you may know, GTA SA uses both a .TXD and .DFF file to create a mod. The TXD file holds all the textures that the mod uses. You can add and subtract textures from this file. The DFF file is where the 3D model is created, and is the primary file that ZModeler uses.

You will need to get TXD Workshop (available here: http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=8320) to extract textures from TXD files.

1. Create a folder on your desktop (or wherever you want...) and give it a name to suit the project.
2. Inside that folder, create the following folders: 'Original', 'Modded' and 'tgas'. The 'original' folder will contain the original unmodded files of your mod (if you are starting from a base mod). At this time, put the original .TXD and .DFF files in this folder. I cannot stress this enough: It always pays to have the original!!! The 'Modded' folder will contain all the modded versions of your mod, including TXD, DFF, and ZModeler saves. The 'tgas' folder will contain all the TGA files that the mod will use (will be explained in a second).
3.You will need to retrieve a file from your GTA SA main folder which will be used for textures. This file is called 'vehicle.txd' and is located in GTA SA main folder ---> models ---> generic ---> vehicle.txd. Copy this file and paste it in your 'Original' folder that you created.
4. Open TXD Workshop. It will look like this when opened:

5. Click the 'Open TXD' button and select the 'vehicle.txd' file (wherever you put it). It should now look like this:

6. All the textures shown here are all generic textures used on almost every single vehicle in GTA SA. This is the reason why we have to use these textures in ZModeler every time. To get the texture files out of the TXD file, click on the 'Export' Button on the upper right. A pull-down menu will appear. Be sure to select the 'Export all textures to TGA' option, as shown here:

7. Next, select the 'tgas' folder to export the TGA texture files into and click 'OK'.
8. Follow steps 4-7 for your [vehicle name].TXD file for your mod. Each mod TXD file will have different texture files in it. Always be sure all the TGA files are in the same folder ('tgas' folder).
9. Open ZModeler. Click on the 'Textures browser' icon (refer to the Main Toolbar explanation HERE). This menu will show up when you click the texture browser:

10. Click on the 'Add' button on the lower left corner. Select ALL of the TGA files in the 'tgas' folder. If you have done it correctly, you should have all the TGAs from the vehicle.txd and your mod txd file in the same folder. After you add the textures, it should look like this (Here, I only added the vehicle.txd TGAs just to prove a point):

11. Once you have all the textures added in the 'Texture browser', click 'OK'.
12. Now we can import the actual 3D model. To do so, click on the 'Import model' button on the Main Toolbar.
13. Select your mod DFF file (in the 'original' folder that you created). Be sure your options match this screenshot (especially 'Preferable textures: TGA'):

14. Lastly, click 'Import'. You have now successfully imported a mod! If you follow these steps every time, it should always work for you. I suggest making a master folder for all your mods (I have hundreds of mod folders).