[Info] ADSL connections & high ping warnings

Started by helloWorld, November 20, 2011, 11:37

Joshy

Recently there's been many people from Australia and South America getting ping kicked and / or de-syncing a lot. I assume many of these people use ADSL (ADSL2+, ADSL2, ADSL1 etc) connections, and I remember myself a year or two back when I had issues with this type of connection.

So first off;
Interleaving

Interleaving is a feature on a ADSL line where it splits up parts of data and then re-organizes them in the most efficient way possible. Then, in case of a error on the line interleaving can easily fix the error by requesting only a segment of the missing data. The result of this is higher download speeds and generally a more stable line. Unfortunately, it also increases latency (ping to you) because of the processing it requires.

If you're willing to lose some speed (50kb/second download speed) to give yourself 20-40ms less ping, ask your ISP to turn interleaving off. It may take a few tries since most ISPs these days use a script and have no idea what a 'modem' is, let alone 'interleaving'. F**king hell that's 12 letters, it'll most probably make them blow up and then have the persons manager to tell you to restart your computer or something... (aka it's best advised to shoot for the technical support, not the sales or 'general support' teams).

More: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/interleaving.htm

Secondly;
AM radio interference detector

Quote from: Description of REINRepetitive Electrical Impulse Noise (REIN) can be the cause of frequent loss of the adsl signal from the exchange, and it can also cause a line to perform below its expected performance.
Generally caused by power supplies (cheap ones are the worst), faulty thermostats (heating), heavy power applications (like train tracks, not relevant), decorative lighting (FLASHING CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTS), PIR security systems, TV set-top boxes and mains supply cables.

How to find it, well that's tricky and can require expensive equipment. Not. Find yourself a portable handheld AM (MW) radio, and tune it to 612kHz, turn it to audible volume too. Now place it near your router / modem, you will hear the DSL signal being transmitted through your line. Move it away from the ADSL wire so that the noise isn't audible anymore, then move across the line. When you hear noise again, it means something in that area is causing REIN and it can mess up your modem connection quality. Try moving either object or the ADSL wire away. You should check around the socket in the wall, any plugs in extension cables, around the router and generally near the walls if your router is close to the wall.

If you have devices that cause REIN, get some of these and slip them on the power cables and any other cables.

More: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

If you're still not happy;

You can always try obtaining a fiber-optic or cable line, these are much better than ADSL and also has TV on the cable too.

Another thing you could try is to restart your modem at mid-day, at this time there are less people on the Internet therefore less interference, so your modem will sync higher = higher download speeds (won't be instantaneous).

If you're all out of luck, I guess you're going to have to admit defeat until something happens. ::)

By the way posting topics about how the host is terrible and / or moaning to Mick about de-syncs will not solve anything. Don't do it.

I recommend the site Kitz ADSL if you want to know more about how your line works, it has been really helpful to me.

I'll leave this unlocked to see if anyone can solve the problem.
[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated using Azure Functions & CloudFlare Workers using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every around 5 minutes. See the original SVG image. View source code (not updated with function yet)

R16RACA

Cookie for you. This post is extremely good :)

(u can delete this comment if you want, idm)
[hide=when smokey tried to eat me]
Quote[15:00:41] <Rahail> R16 smoky wants you!
[15:00:58] <R16RACA> ahhh!
[15:01:15] <Rahail> the fuck 530kph on FREway
[/hide]
[hide=Konali summing me up]
Quote from: KonaliR16 u where maybe a quiet guy, but you are one of the smartest persons i have seen here and i never saw u gettin in trouble. U are a role model for alot players that cant behave and i will really really miss you.
[/hide]
[hide=quotes from Mick]
Quote from: Mick88*Mick88 announced: Fuuuuuu!
Quote from: Mick88"fuck off" is merely a kind request
Quote from: mick88
New theme is so sexy I want to make love to it
[/hide]
[hide=why ELM is not allowed here]It is not allowed as it is a mod that can be seen by other truckers, who might not want to look at flashing lights all the time. This is why only non laggy mods that only you can see are allowed.[/hide]